Zinc plating is a popular industrial coating choice for nuts, bolts, hydraulic fittings and more due to its ability to provide excellent corrosion resistance at a low cost. The application of various passivation treatments can enhance zinc’s protective capabilites.
KC Jones offers a high-quality zinc plating service that can help solve your business’s most demanding coating challenges. We can deliver superior results for any project, regardless of size, scope or complexity.
PITFALLS OF CORROSION
Steel and iron surfaces rust easily, even in mildly corrosive environments. Rust leaves ugly surface stains on parts and components. It also weakens structures and reduces mechanical performance. In addition to corrosion protection against rust, zinc coatings can be cast into a wide range of precision parts for automobiles, airplanes, appliance manufacturing, construction materials, and electronics.
Zinc Plating as an Anti-Corrosion Solution
The zinc plating process is effective at stopping corrosion on metal surfaces. A unique zinc property is its ability to defer to the metal that the coating is protecting. The zinc forms a barrier that prevents water and air from reaching the substrate and causing oxidation, which would lead to corrosion.
Zinc also protects the substrate via galvanization, which is the process of applying a zinc coating to steel or iron. These metals won’t corrode as quickly when covered with zinc, even if the coating experiences a small scratch or scrape.
When zinc reacts with atmospheric oxygen, the result is an even more robust anti-corrosion solution. This process creates zinc oxide, which reacts with moisture to produce zinc hydroxide. This material then bonds with carbon dioxide to form zinc carbonate, which enhances the coating’s corrosion protection properties.
Zinc Plating Specifications and Benefits
Besides the excellent corrosion protection capabilities, manufacturers and metal finishing companies choose zinc plating for several reasons:
- Affordability: Plating with zinc is less expensive than using other metal coatings, making the process more cost-effective.
- Increased life span: Applying a zinc coating can make your products last longer, leading to higher customer satisfaction.
- Enhanced aesthetic appeal: Zinc creates a shiny, metallic finish, which is important for products that require a strong visual presentation.
- Environmentally friendly: Zinc is a recyclable and reusable metal.
Zinc Industry Plating Solutions
Zinc plating serves as a reliable corrosion-resistant sealant for companies in several key industries:
- Automotive: The automotive industry relies on zinc to protect crucial parts like brake calipers, pipes, and power steering components.
- Aerospace: Zinc plating provides exceptional corrosion protection for various aircraft parts and components.
- Military/defense: The precise zinc plating specifications are ideal for meeting the military’s stringent manufacturing standards for armored personnel carriers, tanks, and other heavy vehicles.
DURABLE PARTS INCREASE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
Ensure your parts live up to customer standards, and apply zinc plating for:
- Rust protection
- Long-lasting finish
- Bright jewel-like appearance
- Increased solderability
- A lower corrosion rate than steel (in most atmospheres, when in contact with water)
QUICK TURNAROUND ON HIGH-VOLUME ZINC PLATING ORDERS
KC Jones Plating has provided North American manufacturers with zinc plating solutions and expertise for six decades and counting. It provides a quick turnaround, even on extremely large orders.
We have several automatic zinc rack and barrel lines to provide manufacturers with the widest range of choices. Engineers and technicians at KC Jones regularly and carefully monitor plating baths to ensure the quality of zinc solutions and to extend the life of parts. Our goal is to produce zinc coatings of consistent excellence to precisely match your application.
CHOOSE FROM THE FULL RANGE OF TRIVALENT PASSIVATION OPTIONS
Trivalent passitives are the first line of defense against corrosive attacks on plated coatings. The thin, protective film on chromate finishes makes coatings more durable and increases the overall value of metal coatings. KC Jones provides the full range of chromate conversion coatings.
KC JONES OFFERS ACID and ALKALINE ZINC SOLUTIONS
Alkaline Zinc Plating
- Ductile coating with excellent post-plate forming capability
- Uniform thickness distribution of zinc
- Better ability to cover deep recesses
- Examples: brake fittings, cooling pipes, transmission fittings, mounting brackets, fasteners
Acid Zinc Plating
- Superior brilliance and leveling (rivals nickel-chrome)
- Can plate cast iron and hardened steel
- Examples: brake calipers, knuckles, mounting brackets
Zinc is a well-proven plating system. It is stable, consistent, and has an outstanding list of unique features that enhance how it protects metal parts.
Trivalent Passivation Options
- Clear-Blue, Transparent
- Yellow, Iridescent
Zinc Plating Applications
Zinc electroplating is ideal for large applications as well as:
- Lock Washers
- Military Hardware
- Brake Systems
- Fuel Systems
- Hydraulic Fittings
Zinc Plating Process and Services
We’ve developed a step-by-step zinc plating process that ensures consistent results:
- Surface preparation
- Plating solution preparation using either acid zinc or alkaline zinc
- Procedure selection (rack plating for large parts and barrel plating for smaller items)
- DC introduction to begin the electrodeposition procedure
- Post-treatment procedure
We also offer corrosion testing, integrated inspections, custom coating development, hardness measurement and other related services.